Del Potro loses heartbreaker in Olympic men's tennis semis
Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro pushed Roger Federer to the limit in the semifinals of the Olympic men's tennis singles, but fell short in an agonizing 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 19-17 defeat Friday at The All England Club.
In what was the match of the tournament in terms of quality and duration, Del Potro rediscovered the championship form that has eluded him since suffering a serious wrist injury in early 2010, but it still wasn't enough against the 17-time Grand Slam winner.
The world No. 1 kissed the Swiss flag sewn into his shirt after securing the victory, while a disconsolate Del Potro was unable to hold back the tears before exiting center court.
"Yes, it was a match to be proud of. But losing like that hurts a lot. It's hard to talk right now," Del Potro said in the post-match press conference.
Crusading journalist flees Mexico after death threats
Muckraking journalist and women's rights advocate Lydia Cacho told Efe that she fled Mexico after receiving an especially chilling death threat.
Cacho, who lives in the Caribbean resort city of Cancun, said she left the country immediately after receiving a threat last Sunday over the security system at her house.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists publicized the threat earlier this week, relaying Cacho's account that an unfamiliar voice came over the system's speaker and warned her "not to mess with us" or "we will send you home in little pieces."
"As soon as it happened I became worried. One always feels horrible hearing something so grotesque," Cacho told Efe, adding that she grew even more alarmed when her security consultants said the source of the threatening broadcast was probably within 5 kilometers (3 miles) of her home.
Cuban judoka Idalys Ortiz proclaimed Olympic champ
Cuban judoka Idalys Ortiz was proclaimed Olympic champion in the women's plus-78kg. category in the British capital thanks to a judges' decision giving her the win over Japan's Mika Sugimoto after their match ended in a tie.
Ortiz dominated most of the match against the Japanese, who at one point was penalized for her passivity and lack of an offense.
The scoreboard, however, still read 0-0 at the end of the three minutes of overtime, so the referees had to decide which fought best in order to name the winner.
When the principal judge gave the signal, the three referees simultaneously raised a white flag, the color of Ortiz's kimono, which had the Cuban jumping for joy who four years previously won bronze in Beijing.
Mexican airline's creditor seeks removal of bankruptcy judge
Mexican state-owned bank Bancomext, one of the main creditors of bankrupt airline Mexicana de Aviacion, said it is seeking the removal of the judge handling the company's debt-restructuring process.
Bancomext said in a statement that it made the request "due to the harm the delay in the airline's bankruptcy proceedings represents for Mexicana de Aviacion's creditors and workers."
The complaint also was signed by three other Mexicana creditors: Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliaries, the state-owned corporation that manages Mexico's airports; Mexico City's international airport; and Mexico's Federal Consumer Protection Agency.
Mexico's Communications and Transportation Secretariat proposed Wednesday replacing the administrator and conciliator in Mexicana's bankruptcy proceedings, Gerardo Badin, due to the lack of agreements with creditors in a process dating back two years.
Brazil's Petrobras announces new oil find
Brazilian state-controlled oil company Petrobras has announced the discovery of a new oil accumulation at a deep-water well off the country's northeast coast.
Petrobras said in a statement Thursday that the deposit was found at the Pecem well - located 76 kilometers (47 miles) off the coast of Paracuru, in Ceara state - at a water depth of 2,129 meters (6,980 feet).
The well is being drilled by a consortium made up of Petrobras, which holds a 60 percent stake in the BM-CE-2 concession in the Ceara basin, and BP Energia Brasil, a unit of Britain's BP.
Mexican army captures suspect in slaughter of 49 people
The Mexican army announced the arrest of a suspected operative of the Los Zetas drug cartel in connection with the killings of 49 people in the northern state of Nuevo Leon.
Jose Ricardo Barajas Lopez was apprehended on Tuesday in Santa Catarina, Nuevo Leon, the defense department said in a statement.
Barajas, one of 37 inmates who escaped in February from Apodaca prison, was detained in possession of an assault rifle, two stolen vehicles and communications gear.
Once in custody, the suspect admitted to authorities he took part in the massacre of the 49 people whose dismembered bodies were found May 13 on the roadside near Cadereyta, Nuevo Leon, the defense department said.