The International Committee of the Red Cross said that Romeo Langlois, the French journalist captured a month ago by FARC guerrillas in a firefight, looks to be in good condition after images of him appeared in a video released Sunday by Telesur, and it confirmed that "everything is ready" for his release next Wednesday.
"We're happy to see him. We had not feared at any time for his life, but it's good to see that he's in good health," the ICRC spokesman in Colombia, Spaniard Jordi Raich, told Efe.
Raich also said that as far as the humanitarian organization, which is tasked with taking custody of Langlois at a certain as yet unannounced spot in the southern Colombian jungle, is concerned "everything is ready" for his release.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, announced on Sunday that they will hand over the reporter on Wednesday to a mission headed by the ICRC and comprised of an emissary of the French government and former Colombian Sen. Piedad Cordoba.
Raich said that once the security protocol is agreed to by the other members of the mission, as well as by the Colombian Defense Ministry, which must suspend military operations in the zone so that the handover can proceed, the only thing that remains is for the guerrillas to indicate that they are in agreement with the procedures.
"Now what we're waiting for is that at some point during the day there will be a confirmation of agreement on the part of the FARC and we're waiting for the terms to be fulfilled," Raich said.
The mission to take custody of Langlois, who was shot in the arm during the firefight, will be carried out "with logistical means of the ICRC, vehicles and/or boats ... identified with the ICRC logo and operated by personnel from this organization," according to the protocol the guerrillas must now sign off on.
So that the handover may take place, military actions in the zone will be suspended beginning at 6 p.m. (2300 GMT) on May 29 and will not resume until 6 a.m. (1100 GMT) on May 31, but before that the FARC must provide the coordinates of the site where they will deliver Langlois to the humanitarian mission, the document adds.
The FARC "has a series of obligations, dates and time limits for the delivery. We have transmitted them and we're waiting for a sign of agreement," Raich said.
"The FARC's first obligation is that (on Tuesday) before one in the afternoon (1800 GMT) we must know the municipality or general area where the Defense Ministry has to suspend operations," the ICRC delegate said.
The key time is 6 a.m. on May 31, by which point Langlois should have been handed over to the mission, since at that moment the period during which military operations will have been suspended by the Colombian army will come to an end, he added.
Monday marks one month since the journalist was captured by the FARC.
Langlois was accompanying a task force of police and troops when the contingent was ambushed by FARC units, sparking a battle that left four members of the security forces dead.
The journalist was wounded in the firefight and fled toward the rebel lines, after shedding the army helmet and bulletproof vest he was wearing.
FARC commander "Colacho Mendoza" said in the video released on Monday by Telesur that although Langlois had been wounded, he is recovering well, and he added that the war correspondent had turned himself in to the rebels to save his life in the midst of the firefight.
"First, he was wounded in one arm, a bullet that entered by the side of the elbow and exited ... He had lost the ability to move it and ended up surrendering to save his life," said Mendoza.
A FARC medic treated Langlois' wound, but the rebels then decided to hold him as a prisoner of war.
"Romeo Langlois wore regular-army military garb in the middle of a battle. We believe the least that can be expected for the full recovery of his freedom is the opening of a broad national and international debate on the freedom of information," the FARC said in an earlier statement.
Langlois, the Colombia correspondent for France 24 television and Paris daily Le Figaro, went missing April 28 amid fighting between rebels and soldiers in the jungles of the southern province of Caqueta. EFE