San Salvador – About 80 people are being prosecuted in connection with the massacre of 72 migrants in Mexico last year, Mexican Deputy Foreign Secretary for Latin America and the Caribbean Ruben Beltran Guerrero said here.
"The Attorney General's Office is prosecuting 80 suspects for the incidents in San Fernando," the city in the northeastern Mexican state of Tamaulipas where the migrants were killed, Beltran Guerrero said in a press conference Tuesday in San Salvador, where he attended an international migration conference.
Mexican marines found the bodies of 72 migrants at a ranch in San Fernando on Aug. 24, 2010, marking the worst massacre of migrants in Mexico's history.
The Mexican government organized an international meeting after the massacre that produced a "21-point working (agreement) on the responsibility of the countries" in dealing with migration and respecting migrants' human rights, Beltran Guerrero said.
"We cannot find a solution from night to morning" for the problem of irregular migration, Beltran Guerrero said, adding that "President Felipe Calderon is fully committed to fighting organized crime."
There must be "shared responsibility" among source, transit and receiving countries to deal with the problems caused by migration, especially the vulnerability of migrants, Beltran Guerrero said.
"The Mexican government is not going to tolerate corrupt officials who abuse immigrants," Beltran Guerrero said, noting that public officials had been punished for such violations.