Only 8 percent of the 2.2 million women living in rural Honduras hold title to land and 65 percent of them are poor, activists said here Thursday.

Several organizations held a press conference in Tegucigalpa to present an Oxfam International-sponsored study on the state of poor rural women in the Central American country.

"The study shows the governments' neglect of rural women, the scant support to guarantee our right to land, credit and technical assistance for produce food and combat hunger," Esperanza Cardona, spokeswoman for the group Agrarian Platform, told Efe.

Rural women, she said, are "rendered invisible" in government planning.

"They don't take us into account and that is reflected in (the fact) that 65 percent (of rural women) live in poverty and the remaining 35 percent are in extreme poverty," Cardona said.

The document stressed that access to land, credit and technical assistance "are essential to transform gender relations" in Honduras, where women make up 51 percent of a population of 8.5 million. EFE