My favorite zip code is 10022-SHOE. If you’re a shoe fanatic like me you know the exact address. It’s at the corner of fabulous and fashionista. This, of course, is the amazing shoe department at Saks Fifth Avenue.
I can spend hours in this department and leave a very happy girl with extremely happy feet. I am not alone in this shoe fetish, there are millions of women out there just like me and the department stores know us very well.
Saks was the first to give it’s shoe department a separate zip code because of how much traffic it got.
Today every major department store in NYC has updated and expanded it’s shoe department to be destination shops.
Macy’s opened what it calls the world’s largest women’s shoe department. Spanning 63,000 square-feet and with 300,000 pair of shoes in stock, it is! To make us shop a little more and feel right at home they have added a champagne and chocolate bar. I may never leave!
Barney’s New York joined the shoe fetish and added a unisex shoe floor. They opened up the floor and added new designers and connected both men’s and women’s shoe departments. Smart move Barney’s! Now the men can join in the fun.
Bergdorf Goodman has also extended and revamped both shoe floors. The already elegant and chic shopping experience has been enhanced with more designer labels and excellent service.
These new shoe departments make it tough to say no to new shoes. How does a girl stick to a shoe budget with so many choices and such fabulous destination shoe parlors?
I have come up with an answer. Stick to the five key shoes you simply cannot live without this fall season. Here are my top five.
1. The color blocked shoe or bootie. This shoe is fun and the color blocking makes it possible to wear with different outfits.
2. The tough boot is a motorcycle inspired boot that sometimes crosses over to a Dock Martin. This is the cool boot that is also comfortable and will look amazing with jeans or even this season’s maxi skirts and bomber jackets.
3. The high boot is elegant and slim, creating an elongated leg. You can wear it over your fitted pants with a short or maxi skirt. The diversity of the boot is what makes it a must-have for your fall 2012 shoe closet.
4. The high vamp pump. This new silhouette gives your outfit a vintage chic look that is both fashionable and comfortable.. You can wear it with a slim skirt for a 40‘s inspired look or with trousers.
5. The glitzy shoe or bootie. You want glam? Well this is the shoe you need to add glam to any outfit. You have a choice of either metallic, studded, or both. I love the look of this shoe with very casual jeans and a white shirt or black turtleneck and leather jacket.
So there it is my must-have shoes for fall 2012. Now I need to go, I can't keep Jimmy, Manolo and Christian waiting.
Follow Monica on Twitter @MonicaDiazMode
Like her Facebook Page