This season, prints are all the rage. Designer print inspirations vary from the ethnic inspired to Van Gogh florals. They are also mixing and matching for an eclectic look.
Knowing this is the hot trend for the season, I suggested to a client she get a couple of prints pieces to pull her wardrobe together. Her response: â€œOh no! I donâ€™t do prints. Way too complicated for me.â€�
Really?! I canâ€™t imagine why something so pretty as print can cause such fright and confusion. I had to ask why this strong reaction against the innocent print.
She said it was too daunting to try and figure out which prints looked good on her. Knowing how to mix and match prints with other items in her closet was way too complicated.
I am sure that she is not the only one that is afraid of wearing prints simply because they donâ€™t understand how to wear them. So here are a few simple rules on how to wear this seasonâ€™s hot print trend.
- The most important rule is to wear the right size print for your figure. If you are a petite woman, a small print looks best on you. A large print overwhelms a petite figure. If, however, you are not petite, you can do a larger print. The idea is to balance the print to your body.
- Pick one of the colors in the print to add to the solid piece you will wear with it. You can keep it simple and safe by picking the neutral color in the print such as tan or white. This keeps the print as the focal point.
- Coordinate your accessories to the prints you are wearing. Pick one of the colors in the print to match your handbag and another for your shoes. I prefer not to match my handbag to my shoes, this keeps it more interesting. If this is too much to think about, go for a nude accessory that will always look amazing.
- When you want to go bold and wear head to toe print, remember that the prints need to have at least one color in common to pull them together. This is a little more difficult but could be really fun and trendy.
- Tribal prints look very chic with metallic accessories. Great big gold earring looks fabulous with this print.
- You can also keep the tribal look organic by pairing tribal prints with woven and crochets accessories.
- Donâ€™t be afraid of pairing some the floral prints with neon or bold color accessories. This makes the feminine print feel more edgy.
- Lastly, if you are still not sure about wearing print, try a printed accessory. A great clutch bag or a fabulous shoe in any of this seasonâ€™s prints can take your ordinary look to fashionista status.
Designers such as Marni, Diane Von Furstenberg and Michael Kors are making beautiful prints an important part of our wardrobe. Take a look at how they play with prints and try one of their wonderful looks. So stop being afraid of prints and start having fun this summer!
Follow Monica on Twitter @MonicaDiazMode
Like her Facebook Page