You just can’t have a Super Bowl party without nachos but we can be a little smart about it with lean meats and simple veggies. Small portions in also key. So go ahead and enjoy a party without paying the price the next day at the gym.
• 1 pound ground turkey breast
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ cup chopped bell green pepper
• ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
• ½ cup chopped onion
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup black beans (from a can, rinsed)
• 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese (we used Habanbero cheddar)
• 1 bag of tortilla chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook ground turkey in olive oil until brown.
2. Add peppers, onion, garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Then add cumin, salt and pepper and tomato sauce.
4. Mix well. Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes.
5. While pot is simmering, shred cheese and arrange chips in a large oven-safe dish, pour the chips into a casserole dish.
6. Spread hot mixture over the chips.
7. Sprinkle beans and top with grated cheese.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.