Use low or fat free cheese and hollow out some hoagie bread does not make it a healthy sandwich but it is a better option. Serve up this slightly revised recipe of your typical sausage and peppers sandwich this Super Bowl Sunday.
• 14 ounces chorizo, sliced
• 1 large yellow onion, sliced
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup chicken stock
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
• 6 hoagie sandwich bread, halved and hollowed
1. In a deep skillet, sauté chorizo for 5 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add peppers and garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Then add stock and balsamic vinegar and simmer covered until most of the liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and mix with shredded cheese.
5. Stuff bread with chorizo mixture and place in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread us toasty.
6. Serve with a side salad.
Makes 12 hoagies halves.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.