Although not healthy by any means, it just wouldn’t be the holidays without some coquito. In this recipe, we did manage to cut back a bit on the sweet and replaced by using fat free milk. Here’s to saving a few calories this holiday season. Serves 6.
• 1-15 oz. Canned cream of coconut
• 1-14 oz. Canned condensed milk
• 3 Cups fat free milk
• 6 oz. White rum (optional)
• ¼ tsp. Ground cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling)
• ¼ tsp. Ground cloves
• Dash ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp. Coconut or vanilla extract
• Sugar in the raw (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients in a blender except sugar in the raw.
2. Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight before serving.
3. Rim glasses with sugar in the raw. Pour and serve cold.
Hint: You may need to blend again.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.