Mangoes taste so good that people forget they are also healthy! Research has shown that the “superfruit” protects against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. It is also know to lower cholesterol and provides good eye health.
• 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and cubed
• 3 limes, juiced
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoons jalapeño, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
• 3.5 ounces frozen passion fruit pulp
• ¾ cup condensed milk
• ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a blender, place frozen passion fruit pulp, heavy cream and condensed milk and blend until soft peaks form.
2. Transfer to small bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. To prepare salad, place the mango cubes in a large bowl.
4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the lime juice, oive oil, jalapeño, cilantro, red onion and chili flakes.
5. Pour dressing over mango and mix until well coated.
6. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
7. Serve chilled with a dollop of passion fruit mousse.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.