Published August 11, 2012
| Fox News Latino
Poached eggs are a great option for getting protein without the extra fat when frying. Paired with a garlicky green bean and mushroom salad and you’re filling your body with excellent sources of vitamin C.
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 16 ounces green beans
• 32 ounces sliced mushrooms
• 2 large Spanish onions, sliced
• 5 cloves garlic, sliced
• 12 eggs, poached (2 per person)
• 12 deli-sliced chorizo (optional)
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• Salt and pepper
1. In a deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add sliced onions over medium heat. After 10 minutes, season with sugar, salt and pepper.
2. Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes. Push aside and sauté sliced garlic until lightly browned. Add more olive oil if needed.
3. In another large deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mushrooms. Cook covered until soft and browned.
4. Add green beans and continue to cook covered for an additional 10 minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon onion and garlic mixture over green beans and mushroom. Mix and divide among 6 plates.
6. To poach eggs heat 2 to 3 inches of water in large saucepan or deep skillet to boiling. Lower heat to a simmer. Crack eggs one at a time into a small bowl and slip into water carefully.
7. Cook eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken (about 3 to 5 minutes).
8. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs and drain. Slide onto chorizo slice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.