A great alternative to having eggs is to enjoy them baked.Eggs provide high quality protein, vitamins and minerals essential to health. Try this recipe and don’t be afraid to play with different ingredients.
1. 1 dozen eggs
2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
3. 1 small onion, finely chopped
4. 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5. 12 deli-sliced chorizo
6. ¾ - 1 cup , reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
7. Salt and pepper to taste
8. Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Then add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
3. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan and line each cup with chorizo. Layer with a about a teaspoon each of shredded cheese and onion and garlic mixture.
4. Carefully crack an egg into each cup and season with a little salt and pepper.
Tip: To avoid shells, crack into a clear bowl. Remove any cracked shells and pour into muffin cup.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 12 Eggy Cups.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.