Coconut milk, one of this recipe’s main ingredients contains healthy fat which helps the body feel full. It also promotes healthy skin and hair and who doesn’t want that?
1. 2 pounds jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail-removed)
2. 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3. 1 cup onion, finely chopped
4. 1-14 ounce can coconut milk
5. 1 teaspoon curry powder
6. 1 ripe mango, cubed
7. 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
8. 1 lime, juiced
9. 6 basil leaves
10. Scallions, chopped (optional)
11. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly season shrimp with salt and pepper, lime juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, heat remaining olive oil. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes.
3. Add chopped garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add curry powder, coconut milk and season to your taste with salt and pepper.
4. After it’s been heated through, turn off flame and take a ¼ cup of the coconut milk mixture and puree in a blender along with half the cubed mangos.
5. Then add back to the coconut milk mixture and mix until well-combined. Set aside.
6. Skewer shrimp and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
7. Add torn basil to coconut milk mixture and reheat if necessary.
8. Ladle four to six individual plates with sauce.
9. Divide shrimp among the plates and top with scallions and mangoes.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.