Authentic huevos rancheros are prepared with fried corn tortillas and fried eggs. In this version, we reduced the cholesterol intake by simply warming whole wheat tortillas and boiling the eggs.
• 8 eggs, hard boiled
• 8 whole wheat tortillas
• 8 slices, serrano ham
• 8 slices, swiss cheese
• Salsa, store bought or fresh
1. Boil eggs in salt water. When ready, cut into ½ inch slices.
2. Layer each tortilla evenly with ham and cheese.
3. Microwave for about 20 seconds (or just enough to melt cheese).
4. Top with sliced eggs.
5. Add a tablespoon of salsa.
6. Wrap and enjoy with your favorite side dish.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.