Sure, egg whites are high in protein while the yolks are high in cholesterol. But did you know that yolks are also high in calcium, vitamin A, E, D, K and so on? Fear not, when making this recipe. Yolks impart a variety of health benefits, including healthy protein, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. As they say, everything in moderation.
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• ¼ cup dry Marsala
• 2 tablespoons dark rum
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Zest from one lemon
1. Separate egg yolks from the white and place in a medium bowl.
2. Add sugar and whisk until thick for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat milk and heavy cream over medium heat until it begins to bubble.
4. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
5. Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes and until custard leaves path on back of spoon with one stroke of your finger.
6. Pour custard through sieve set over medium bowl.
7. Stir Marsala, rum, and vanilla into custard. Cover and refrigerate until cool; about an hour. Then transfer gelato to an airtight container. Freeze until firm. Minimum 4 hours or overnight.
8. Serve with fresh berries and indulge a little.
Makes 4 servings.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.