When making this side dish, consider using some of the unsalted varieties available in your local supermarket. They’re nearly sodium free. The star ingredient in the topping is fat free making this a healthy, yet tasty snack.
• 1 (16 oz) log fresh mozzarella
• 6 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chopped
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice mozzarella into ½ inch rounds. Set aside.
2. Chop remaining ingredients.
3. Using a mortar and pestle, muddle sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, oil, salt and pepper, to taste, until well blended. (You may also use food processor or blender).
4. Spoon mixture over mozzarella.
5. Serve immediately.
Makes 16-20 rounds.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.