Tofu, today’s main ingredient, in itself is bland but it easily absorbs flavors, making it fun to explore with different spices.
Tofu, which is high in calcium, is made from soybeans and is an excellent choice of protein for vegetarians.
- 14 oz. package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mixed bell peppers, diced (yellow, red, orange, green)
- ½ lime, juiced (optional)
Spice Rub Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Combine all spice rub ingredients. Place in an air tight container and give it a shake. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. While heating, cube tofu and place in a mixing bowl.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the spice rub mixture. Toss lightly and let for a few minutes to absorb flavors.
4. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add tofu. Cook until brown and crispy on all sides. About 10 minutes.
5. Dice peppers and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sauté along with tofu for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Hit it with some fresh squeezed lime juice and serve immediately.
Other uses for spice rub:
- This spice rub is incredibly versatile and can be used on steak, fish, pork, chicken and yes… even tofu!
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.