Avocados, this recipe’s star ingredient, are very high in vital nutrients, especially potassium.
They are fatty, yes, but it's UNSATURATED fat....so it’s the good stuff. Not to mention the other loads of veggies contained in this recipe. It’s a win-win.
• 2 ripe avocados, diced
• 2 plum tomatoes, diced (plus some for garnish)
• 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
• 1 jalapeño, diced and seeded
• 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped (plus some for garnish)
• 1 cup low-fat or fat free sour cream
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 4 cups vegetable stock (cold or room temperature)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine the first eight ingredients in a blender until pureed.
2. Add vegetable stock slowly (1/2 cup at a time to help with the puree process).
3. Once it is completely pureed, blend in remaining stock.
4. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
5. Chill for about an hour and top each serving with cilantro and tomatoes.
*For a party-like presentation, serve in margarita glasses with grilled shrimp and lime-wedge.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.