Eggplant is loaded with vitamins and minerals. It’s an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help protect against colon cancer and keeps the digestive system regular.
Eggplant consists primarily of vitamin A, B vitamins and vitamin C. It’s also rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous. By far, eggplant is an excellent addition to your diet.
Make this your one special dish for Mother’s Day this weekend. Perfect for brunch, or as an appetizer.
• 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
• ½ medium Spanish or white onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• 1-15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1-15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
• 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
• 1 cup frozen corn
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced ½ in thick
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups dry seasoned bread crumbs
• Queso Fresco
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add cumin, diced tomatoes, lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add shredded beans, chicken, and about a cup of chicken stock and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in corn and mix until heated through (about 5 minutes).
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in crumbs, and place in hot oil.
6. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels or on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath to keep it crispy on both sides.
8. Place a generous serving of chicken mixture over half the fried eggplant pieces.
9. Sprinkle each with crumbled queso fresco.
10. Serve with avocado.
For a healthier option: Grill eggplant and use shredded turkey breast instead or any flaky white fish or even a variety of sautéed veggies.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.