Colombian pop star Juanes and Dominican merengue icon Juan Luis Guerra said they will donate the entire box-office receipts from their Nov. 24 concert in New York to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
"With so many people from these regions now facing immense hardships, we want to show our deep appreciation by utilizing our music to both raise spirits and more importantly, raise much-needed funds to help them through these times of great need," Juanes and Guerra said in a joint statement Friday.
When Sandy blasted through the U.S. Northeast late last month, it left more than 100 people dead and hit tens of thousands with heavy material damages, as well as costing the state of New York more than $33 billion in economic losses.
The concert will be held on Nov. 24 in the newly opened Barclays Center in the New York borough of Brooklyn.
The promoters announced that the entire box-office take of the show, which will be the first big concert of Latin American music in that multi-purpose arena, will go to the U.S. Red Cross to help hurricane victims. EFE