Warner Bros. is giving back to the "Dark Knight Rises" shooting victims and their family members, Deadline.com is reporting.
The studio told the publication that it is in talks with the Colorado governor's office to donate money to those affected by suspect James Holmes' shooting rampage during the midnight screening last week of “The Dark Knight Rises.”
Deadline.com says that the funds will be donated via the nonprofit givingfirst.org, an organization which is part of Co. Community First Foundation.
Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal and Lionsgate said Saturday that they were joining "The Dark Knight Rises" distributor Warner Bros. in withholding their box office numbers for the weekend.
Warner Bros. announced Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families. The rampage killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight premiere in Aurora earlier in the day.
Sunday box-office estimates are a weekly routine for Hollywood, with studios jostling for bragging rights as the No. 1 movie and always aiming to break revenue records.
Before the shooting, the box-office performance of "The Dark Knight Rises" had been eagerly anticipated. The film was expected to be among the most lucrative movie openings and possibly contend with the record $207.4 million brought in by "The Avengers."
The last installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy had record three-day opening weekend with $160 million at the box office, despite the tragedy.